Monday, August 24, 2009

Uh-oh Bloggi-O's

Alas it is time for a bit of an epic blog. Be prepared those who are not for long-windedness I recommend not continuing reading unless you truly care. I will try my best to split this into sections so to make the reading stream a little faster and easier but no promises shall be made.

Last week was a fun adventure with the complaints and the solving of issues nonsensical. It was also the last week of the summer classes so we have now officially begun the normal schedule again. I am back to working around 1 to 10 M-F which is no big deal. I am an early bird so that makes life easy for me.
This past Thursday evening we held another potluck in the pagoda and it was as successful as the last if not more so. There were more people, including Paul and his new coworker Sara, and more food than we knew what to do with. Ken naturally made a soju cocktail for all to enjoy. Pretty much everyone brought something great. A good time was had by all and there was much rejoicing.

The next night was another hanging out session at Exit and that was all fine and dandy again.

Saturday was the day or rather night to remember. I proceeded with the suji posse to a chain Italian restaurant here called "Mad for Garlic" I wasn't sure what was funniest about this place; but it might have been the silly name or the fact that the logo for this Italian restaurant was written in an Old English font that made it look as though it were an inn from Medieval times. Nonetheless we ate lots and lots. I tried a mussel for the first time and it was okay but they aren't things that I am going to go out of my way to eat. Paul met up with us as we finished dinner and we headed towards the docks on the banks of the Han river for an evening river cruise. This cruise set me a little at ease, since I have been experiencing minor homesickness, because it was a cruise through a big city at night on a river, thus, it reminded me of home. Being on boats always sets me at ease as is due to my love for water, I think. After stretching our sea legs we headed to Gangnam to tie one on in a fancy and fun bar called MTL Modern Bar. It was quite the elegant place. Sean, Andy, Paul and I tricked the girls into going to see the washroom because we told them that it was the most amazing place in the bar, when in fact it was a sub par lavatory. After we had a few drinks we met up with Bill and the girls decided to call it a night. It was only around 1am I think so that was fine be us guys were aching for more. We headed to another bar in Gangnam, kicked back a few more brews, and told old war stories to one another. Oh I almost forgot! On the way to this second bar in Gangnam I proceeded to play this funny vending machine game where you direct a rod to a box to push a prize out and I won!! What did I win you ask? Well what else but Sexy Panties!! I gave them to Bill for shits and giggles, that and he asked for them anyways. What the hell was I going to do with sexy panties? Come to think of it...what is he gonna do with them?
After we knocked some frosty glasses we were all feeling a little toastie and headed into Itaewon for some reason that no one knows. We went with Bill into Seoul Pub where we met his friend, and his name escapes me, that was wearing a WWCND shirt (What Would Chuck Norris Do?). By this time it was nearing 5 am and Paul and I were pretty sloshed. I had already stopped drinking so some kind of headache was forming and we were both wiped from the adventures we had been having thus far. In other words Paul and I grabbed a cab and headed for the sunset. In turn it ended up being the sunrise...guess we went the wrong direction, but now Paul and I have seen a sunrise in Seoul, drunkenly from a cab, I might add. We got out at Paul's place and I made sure he could hobble home while I tried to find another cab that would take me back to my apt. One of the convenient store bum cab drivers spotted me and insisted on me taking his cab. This was not a good choice for he only took me to downtown Suji and basically forced me to get out there. I live about ten/fifteen minutes walking distance out of downtown Suji and this was now 6am and I was still drunk. Any of the other cabs I have been in have plugged my address into their GPS and taken me to just about my front door, but this cabby was being an ass. It seemed as though he just wanted to head back to the convenience store and resume his lethargic lifestyle with his fellow lazy cronies. I have a feeling, and this may be an over reaction, but it might have been some discrimination in the sense that he just wanted to make a quick couple bucks and drop me wherever he could that was closest to where I asked. To make a long story short I wandered home drunk at 6am through Suji as the sun rose, no biggie.

Sunday proved to be mildly entertaining as well. I got up and cleaned basically most of the day, which was productive and good. Later on I was going to meet up with some of the suji crew but that didn't happen because the movie we wanted to see was not being shown any longer at the theater nearest us. Paul and I decided "Who cares?" and hung around Shinsegae mall right at the subway station near my place. We ended up finding a grocery store in the basement of it and buying a lot of goodies. We even found real cheese and Gorilla Munch cereal. This grocery store was small but it was reminiscent of a Whole Foods, just Korean. It even had the green and gold look going for it. After that we ate some food and went our separate ways.

That brings me to today which was just another day in the mines. Now I sit here blogging to you. In the next few days I hope to get another blog in to you about my homesickness and my general thoughts on life. Keep your eyes peeled.

Blog Shout Out: Heidi for having to leave us and continue on her own life adventure. In the short time of getting to know her she has become in my eyes a good friend and I look forward to meeting her again someday in the future.

2 comments:

  1. YOU FOUND GORILLA MUNCH IN KOREA?! AND YOU DIDNT TELL ME?!?! i hope you ate the box because thats an added source of fiber that everyone seems to over look. it seems like youre having an absolutely fabulous time over there thus leaving me here incredibly jealous :) i shall see you on skype soon, but til then i trust this finds you well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey now, who is the one who actually BOUGHT the Gorilla Munch? There goes Lauren again, stealing my life from underneath me...
    Joel, Korea sounds amazing. Hope all continues to be well!

    ReplyDelete